Distant picture of Boon Island Light

The rocks in the foreground are part of the island on
which Cape Neddick Light sits.  The Nubble
is to the left in this picture.
Boon island is located about 6.5 miles southeast of Cape Neddick.  The first tower, established in 1800, was a 50-foot wooded tower that was destroyed by a winter storm in 1804.  The following year it was rebuilt as a stone tower.  President James Madison authorized a new lighthouse in 1812.  This lighthouse lasted for nearly 19 years.  

The current tower was built in 1852.  It is the tallest in New England, reaching a height of 133 feet.  The diameter at the base is 25 feet; and is 12 feet wide at the top.
Return to Maine Lights page