Burnt Island Light

The Burnt Island Light was built in 1821, on the west side of the entrance to Boothbay Harbor.  A fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed in the 1850's.  A bell tower with a 1,000 pound fog bell was added in 1895.  The 30-foot tower was the last lighthouse in New England to switch from kerosene to electricity in 1962, and was among the last in Maine to be automated.  The above picture was taken from the area near the Coast Guard Station at McKown Point.  The picture below is a blow up of the same picture - the lighthouse is barely visible through the break in the tree. 


 
Return to the Maine lights page