Egg Rock Light
These pictures of Egg Rock Light were taken from Acadia
National Park. The light was built in 1875, to mark the entrance to
Frenchman Bay. The brick tower is in the center of a 1-1/2 story keeper's
house, and originally held a fifth-order Fresnel lens. In 1902, the light
was upgraded with the installation of a fourth-order Fresnel lens whose
characteristic was changed from fixed to flashing white light.
Egg Rock light was automated in 1976. In 1986, after
receiving complaints, the US Coast Guard installed a new lantern, optic, and
railing to improve the appearance of the lighthouse. The boathouse, oil
house, and generator house still remain on the property.