West Quoddy Head Light

The West Quoddy Head light, located on the easternmost point in the Continental United States, on the Bay of Fundy, marks the southwest entrance to Quoddy Channel.  It was first built in 1808, by order of Thomas Jefferson.  In 1820 it received a fog bell, one of the first stations to do so.

The current 49-foot brick tower was built in 1858 and received a third-order Fresnel lens.  In 1869 the earlier bells were replaced with a trumpet fog whistle.  The West Quoddy Head light was automated in 1988.  The red and white striping make it one of the most easily recognized lights in the world.

The "West" refers to this light being west of the East Quoddy Head Light.

Return to the Maine lights page