ORIENT POINT LIGHTHOUSE
The Orient Point Lighthouse, known to
many as the "Coffee Pot" light,
was built in 1889 to mark the end of Oyster Point Reef on the western side of Plum Gut.
This style lighthouse was built by bolting
curved pieces of cast iron together.
Less-expensive, prefabricated stations were built as a way to save money.
Plum Gut is the deep open water channel between Orient
Point to the west
and Plum Island to the east that links the waters of Gardiners Bay
with the waters of eastern Long Island Sound.
The Orient Point - New London ferry passes behind the lighthouse.
Last updated: August 2, 2008