STRATFORD POINT LIGHTHOUSE
Located where the Houstonic River meets Long Island Sound, this station, at the time the third light station built on Long Island Sound, was established in 1822. A wooden octagonal tower, was built after Congress appropriated $4,000. It was 28-feet high, to the base of the lantern. A bell tower was installed in 1865.
|The current tower, a 35-foot
cast iron tower lined with brick, was built in 1881.
The red band was added in 1899.
It was equipped with a third-order Fresnel lens, which was replaced by a modern optic.
Stratford Point Lighthouse was the first prefabricated cylindrical lighthouse in the country.
Visited August 22, 2019
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States