This photo was taken from US Route 1
Established in 1858 near Marathon Key, Florida, the Sombrero Key Light was built by George Gordon Meade, and was the 3rd screwpile lighthouse of the Florida Keys. The original optic was a 1st order Fresnel Lens (now on display at the Key West Lighthouse). The current optic is a solar-powered (VRB 25), installed in 1997. The light was automated in 1960.
The 160-foot tower has a focal plane of 142-feet above sea level.
Return to the Florida State Page
Visit the Florida Lighthouse Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States