PINEY POINT LIGHTHOUSE
44720 Lighthouse Road
Piney Point, MD 20674
Built in 1836 by John Donahoo of Havre de Grace, Maryland
Thirteenth lighthouse built in
Maryland, one of 11 originally built on the Potomac River . It is the
tenth of twelve lighthouses built by Donahoo.
. It is the tenth of twelve lighthouses built by Donahoo.
Located 14 miles upriver from the Chesapeake Bay with a fixed white light visible for 11 miles.
Standing 35 feet high, this was
the only conical tower built on the Potomac River . It is 3-Foot,
10-inches thick at the base, and 2-foot, 3-inches at the parapet.
. It is 3-Foot, 10-inches thick at the base, and 2-foot, 3-inches at the parapet.
This landmark was nicknamed the “Lighthouse or Presidents” in reference to the many vacationing Washingtonians and politicians who visited the site in the 19th and 20th centuries
Of the four remaining Potomac River Lighthouse’s, this is the only tower open to the public on a regular seasonal schedule
Piney Point Lighthouse operated from 1836 until it was decommissioned by the United States Coast Guard in 1964.
Site preservation efforts were spearheaded by the Potomac River Association in the 1960's?
Piney Point Lighthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The lighthouse has been in the care and keeping of the St. Mary’s County Government since 1980.
In 1990, this historic site was put under the stewardship of the St. Mary’s County Museum Division, a division of the Department of Recreation, Parks and Community Services. The park grounds opened to the public in 1995.
After ten years of restoration, the lighthouse tower was opened to the public in 2002.
Keeper's Dwelling, Light Tower and Fuel House
Historic Coast Guard Photo showing Bell Tower
Fog Bell, dated 1858
Piney Point Lighthouse Keeper’s
|1836 William Henry Suter||1836 Philip Clark|
|1840 Herny J. Heard||
1845 Charlotte Suter
|1846 William B. Taylor||1849 John W. Nuthall|
|1850 Martha Nuthall||1861 Robert Marshall|
|1865 Henry Steinhise||1869 Noah Wilson|
|1873 Elizabeth C. Wilson||1877 Helen C. Tune|
|1883 Thomas W. Costin||1910 George W. Costin|
|1910 William K. Slacum||1911 Loch Humbphreys|
|1919 William M. Yeatman||1931 William Goeshy|
|1939 United States Coast Guard|
Above information was obtained from displays at the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park.
Postcard Image of Piney Point Lighthouse
from the Owner's Collection.
Return to the Maryland Lighthouse Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States