Bass Harbor Head Light
Bass Harbor Head Light, which rises from
the rocky southernmost tip of Mount Desert Island, is one of the most
photographed lighthouses on the East Coast. The light, which was built in 1858,
marks the entrance to Bass Harbor and, beyond it, Blue Hill Bay. Now fully
automated and managed by the U.S. Coast Guard, it is the only park lighthouse
accessible by car. The lighthouse is located on the western side of the island,
on Route 102A.
"Among the best known and most photographed spots in Maine, the
Bass Harbor Head Light was built in 1858 to mark the bar across the eastern
entrance to Blue Hill Bay. The grounds and residence of this facility
now comprise the private residence of the Commander, United States Coast
Guard Group Southwest Harbor and are not open to the public. Trails on
both sides of the parking lot allow visitors access to excellent views of
the lighthouse and the surrounding coastline."
the State of Maine Lights Page