Ram Island Light
Built in 1883, by order of President Chester A. Arthur, this
brick lighthouse is similar to towers at Isle au haut and Marshall Point.
There was a wooden walkway that connected the light to the island. A
keeper's house and fog bell tower were also built. In 1898 the oil house
was added. It was automated in 1965. In 1975, the keeper's house was
vandalized, and the Fresnel lens stolen. The keeper's house was repaired
in 1977 by the Coast Guard, who also removed the deteriorated walkway. The
boathouse was destroyed in 1978 by a winter storm.