Wood Island Lighthouse
Wood Island light was built in 1808 to guide mariners into
Wood Island Harbor. The 47-foot rubblestone tower is the original, making
it Maine's oldest lighthouse tower. There was a fourth-order Fresnel lens
installed in 1858. That was removed in 1972 and was replaced by an aerobeacon.
It was automated in 1986 and, due to to complaints, a smaller lens was
the State of Maine Lights Page