following is from a plaque located near the lighthouse,
and erected by the Buffalo Lighthouse Association
The oldest building in Buffalo still standing on its original site, this lighthouse
was built in 1832 and 1833.
portion of the 44-foot tapering octagonal tower, the original lantern room was removed in
1857 and the stone casement window section and metal upper portions added to raise the
light and make room for a fog bell.
Nicknamed the Old Stone Light in the 19th Century and Chinamans Light early this century, the tower originally used whale-oil lamps and polished reflectors. Kerosene Lamps and a Fresnel lens were in use early this century, but the lighthouse was decommissioned in 1914 and the Breakwater Light Station became the main beacon for the expanded harbor.
View from the marina of the
1833, 1963 and North Bottle Lights
1933 USLHS Fog Bell
The North Bottle Light and a
1920's era Bell Buoy
Close up view of the 4th Order Fresnel
Bi-valve or "Clam Shell" lens
Return to the New York State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States