The 30-foot light tower rests on a 10-foot high octagonal concrete pedestal, and both sit on a square concrete crib that is 12-feet high itself. This light first went into service in 1877 in Vermilion, Ohio, but was removed in 1929 after a severe ice storm nearly toppled it. Transported to Buffalo, modifications were made and the tower was later re-erected at its present site. The disposition of the missing lighthouse perplexed Vermilion residents for 65 years, until 1994, when the mystery was accidentally solved.
This is how the light appears, six miles off of Tibbetts Point Lighthouse.
Return to the New York State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States