LONG BEACH BAR LIGHTHOUSE
Built in 1990, this replica replaces the original built at the entrance to Orient Harbor in 1871, which was burned by vandals in 1963. The original, screw pile lighthouse, was first lighted on December 1, 1871. In 1873 it displayed a fixed red light from a fifth order Fresnel lens. In 1939 it was upgraded to a fourth order Fresnel lens, fixed red, incandescent oil vapor, 870 candlepower light. According to the East End Lighthouses group, the whole reconstruction project took 60 days, from the beginning to its relighting. The current 250 mm, solar powered light is 63 feet above the water.
This picture was taken from Route 25.
Return to the New York State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States