Old Fort Niagara Lighthouse
Located in Lewiston, New York, at the junction of the Niagara River and Lake Ontario, the
light was first established in 1781, on the roof of Fort Niagara - the "French
Castle". Its purpose was to prevent vessels sailing at night from running too
far westward of Fort Niagara. It is believed that a light was kept in the tower only
when a vessel was expected.
The second tower,
called the Newark Light, was built by the British at Fort Mississauga (Fort George), on
the Canadian bank of the river, and stood from 1804 to 1814.
The third light, built
in 1823, was a wooden tower atop the mess house, and consisted of a squat pedestal and
The current light, the
fourth to serve the area, went into service in 1872. It was a 50-foot octagonal
stone tower built on the shore of Lake Ontario south of the Fort. In 1900, and oil
house was built, and 11-feet was added to the tower. In addition to housing the
watchroom, this increased height made the light visible 25 miles out on the lake.
The Fort Niagara Light was active until 1993.
To reach the light,
located within the Fort Niagara State Park, take the Robert Moses Parkway (Rt. 18F) into
Fort Niagara State Park and follow the signs to the lighthouse. For more
information, call 716-745-7611.
Oil house is to the right
(To enlarge the pictures below, click on the image.)
the New York State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States