The west pier light has been
moved and improved many times over the years as the pier has been lengthened and upgraded.
marking the entrace to the Genesee River and the Port of Rochester, it supplanted
the old lighthouse on the hill in 1881, and has continued to do so ever since. The
current light was erected in 1995 and is still active.