JONES POINT LIGHTHOUSE
Resembling a one-room school house, the Jones Point Lighthouse was built in 1856 along the banks of the Potomac River. Once home to a fourth order Fresnel lens, the lantern is integrated into the wooden Keepers' house and now houses a 155mm optic visible for nine miles. It was deactivated in 1926, when a steel-skeleton lighthouse, which displayed a fixed green light, was erected nearby.
In 1926, the lighthouse was turned over to the Mount Vernon Chapter of the Daughter's of the American Revolution for restoration. In 1934, the light on the steel tower was converted to electric power and was automated. The land surrounding the lighthouse was owned by the Army Signal Corps from 1936 until after World War II, at which time it was returned to DAR.
Click image for more information
In 1961, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge was completed, which spanned the Potomac River, connecting Alexandria, Virginia and Prince George's County, Maryland. The bridge provided better lighting for navigation and, in 1962, the Jones Point light was discontinued.
In 1986, an agreement with the Park Service to restore the lighthouse as a museum. In1995, a new optic was installed, the lighthouse was relit, and it once again began functioning as a lighthouse.
Today, the lighthouse is closed to visitors. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is managed by the George Washington Memorial Highway.
The above information was taken from the US Coast Guard,
Historic Light Station Information & Photography / Virginia page.
All photographs, unless otherwise noted, are by Robert D. DaVia, ©2009 www.seathelights.com
Return to the Virginia State Page
Return to the: Alphabetical Listing or the Listing by States